Hospital Profile and History

The Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital was established in 1897 through the amalgamation of the National Eye Hospital founded by Isaac Ryall in 1814 and St Mark’s Ophthalmic Hospital for Diseases of the Eye and Ear founded by Sir William Wilde in 1844. Both hospitals were moved to a newly built Victorian building on its present site in Adelaide Road in 1904.

The hospital is primarily an ambulatory and elective surgery centre and the only stand alone two specialty hospital in Ireland. It is the largest centre for retinal and strabismus cases and the only centre for ocular oncology cases in the country.

In addition to patient care, education and research are the major functions in the hospital. Academic and clinical training are provided to undergraduate and postgraduate medical students from RCSI, UCD and TCD. Nurses from other hospitals also avail of the post-graduate diploma in Ophthalmic and Otolaryngology nursing. Research in both Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology is undertaken in partnership with the academic institutions.

In line with current legislation, smoking is prohibited in all areas of The Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital.

 

Accessibility Controls